(Adapted from Steve's Kitchen - Cheesecake Recipe - No Bake)
This post is a sequel to my first one about New York Style Baked cheesecake. Cheesecake is a versatile dessert that be prepared very easily at home...without any baking!
While hunting around for no-bake cheesecake recipes, I stumbled upon this wonderful video. You can take a look here.
Non-bake cheesecake is a recipe that you can make without any cooking per se. Mainly it needs to be chilled in the refrigerator and serve chilled once it is set. In this sweltering heat, it is simply perfect! So, without further ado, let me jump right in to the recipe:
For the biscuit base:
Arrowroot or digestive biscuits: 10-12
Butter: 3 tablespoons
Sugar: 3 tablespoons
For the cheese topping:
Home-made paneer - made from 1.5 liters of toned milk
Whipped cream - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4th cup
Juice of one lemon
Zest of Lime - 1 pinch
Vanilla Essence - 1 tablespoon
Yoghurt - 6 tablespoons
Gelatin - 3 and a 1/2 teaspoon
3 tablespoon of Mango Jam
1. First to prepare the biscuit base, crush the biscuits with your hands. Then dry grind them into a fine powder in a food processor. The biscuit mix will look something like this:
3. Mix well with your hands and make a layer of this mixture at the bottom of the springform pan. Make sure you press some of this mixture to the sides of the pan so that it forms a strong base for the cheese topping.
4. Keep the pan in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set.
5. To prepare the cheese topping, add the paneer, yoghurt, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice to the food processor bowl.
6. To get lemon zest just grate a whole lemon using a hand grater. You will get snips of lemon peel. Add a pinch of this grated lemon peel to this mixture.
|Grating the lemon|
8. Mix gelatin with 2 tablespoon of water at normal room temperature. (Vegetarians can substitute gelatin with china grass or Agar Agar). In a few minutes the gelatin will bloom and look like this:
9. Now place the gelatin in a water bath. Stir slowly till the gelatin dissolves into a clear liquid. Do not let the gelatin boil.
9. In the morning, take out the cheesecake from the fridge. The top surface will be firm to touch.
10. To prepare the topping take 3 tablespoons of mango jam in a pan. Add 1/3rd cup of water and let the mixture simmer over low flame. The jam will melt and get mixed evenly to form a smooth jelly. Cool this jelly and pour it over the cheesecake. Place the cheesecake in the fridge for another 10 minutes.
11. Voila! The cheesecake is ready. Slice and serve. (It was a superhit with my little one. She devoured her cheesecake slice in no time!)