Saturday, August 9, 2014

Gulabjamuns with Bread

(Adapted from Bread Gulabjamun Recipe: Sharmis Passions)

Its raining almost everyday in Kolkata now. This is the ideal time for steaming hot khichuri with an assortment of fritters and Ilish maach bhaja. All sort of savoury items are being made almost every alternate day in my house.

As a result of this "yummy" eating, a lot of bread was getting accumulated in my fridge. What to make out all this bread? This question was haunting me day and night. I had made bread pulao and the family would not eat any more of bread pulao.

Then, I came across this easy recipe of making Gulabjamuns using bread. What? Gulabjamuns.....using bread! I though that Gulabjamuns were made using khoya!!!!

I used the same recipe that I found at Sharmi's Passions. You can find the recipe here.

Here are the lovely Gulabjamuns.


I went by the original recipe but tweaked the measures a little.

This is how I made it:

Ingredients:

(Makes about 15 jamuns)
 
Milk Bread - 7 slices
Milk Powder - 2 and a half tablespoons
Milk - 1/2 cup
Rose essence - 1 drop
Oil - to deep fry
 
For making the sugar syrup:
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Water - 3/4th cup
Cardamom - 2
 

Process:

1. Mix the sugar in water. Crush the cardamom and add to this mixture. Put this mixture in a vessel and place over medium place on the gas. Stir occasionally till the sugar has dissolved completely. Now lower the flame and let it cook till the sugar syrup becomes sticky. Keep aside to cool.
 
2. Take the bread pieces and remove the brown sides using a knife.
 
3. Dip each slice in milk and then remove from the milk after squeezing the extra milk out from each slice.
 
4. After you are done with all the bread slices, add the milk powder. Place the mixture in a food processor/mixer and pulse for a few minutes till you get a smooth mixture. I mixed using my hands.
 
 
 
5. Roll into round balls. Don't use too much pressure while rolling the balls.
 

6. Heat oil in a kadhai/wok. When the oil is smoking hot, lower the flame and fry the balls. Fry 3-4 balls at a time till they are golden-brown on all sides.
 
 
7. Drain using slotted spoon and place over tissue paper to soak the excess oil. Place the fried balls in the sugar syrup. Let the balls soak in the syrup for more than two hours or better overnight.
 
Serve with love. Enjoy!
 

1 comment:

  1. I tried them , they taste just like the original sans the extensive preparation .

    ReplyDelete