Saturday, November 7, 2015

The No-Grind Bombay Chutney

(Adapted from VysyasRecipes: Bombay Chutney)

I have been missing in action for nearly six months now. My laptop conked off and since then I have hardly been  posting recipes.

Today was an exception. I got a lovely chutney recipe from the net. I simply had to make it at home and blog about it. This recipe is simple to make, all the ingredients are readily available at home...and whats more...it does not involve any grinding at all.

This versatile chutney can be eaten as a side dish with poori/paratha/dosa and of course with idli too.



I found the original recipe here.

Here is how I made it:

Ingredients:

Besan flour - 2  tbsp
Green chillies - 2.
chilli powder - 3/4 tsp.
salt - to taste.
turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp.
onions - 2. (cut lengthwise)
tomato - 1 (chopped medium).
ginger - 1/2 inch

For tempering:

Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp,
curry leaves: 3-4
chana dal - 1 tsp.
curry leaves - few
white oil: 1 and half teaspoon

Process:

1. First mix the besan with some water to form a thick, lump-free mix.

2. Next, heat oil. Add all the ingredient for tempering and green chillis. When the mustard seeds start spluttering add chopped onions and fry for a minute.
3. Add the tomatoes. Also add salt, turmeric, and chilli powder. Fry for some time. The tomatoes will turn mushy.

4. At this point, add the besan mixture. Keep stirring till the besan does not have a raw smell.

5. The mixture will become thick.
6. Take off the gas and serve. 


I served it with rava idlis that I made at home. Enjoy!

2 comments: